/* End of Popular posts CSS ------------------------------*/ -->

Materialism

Saturday, February 20, 2016
I own a lot of things, coming from two generations of hoarders, I'm afraid it's been passed down to me. Yet, even though my family has always hoarded a lot of things, they've been pretty frugal with what they purchase. Whereas, when it came to me, I always craved for more expensive things and thought they would make me feel better. My mum and sister have no interest at all in designer and expensive items, however, I would browse through luxury online websites and blogs adding items to my wishlist.


Last year, I bought my first slightly expensive handbag, after a long time deciding and a while saving up for it. I loved buying it and still love using it, but there was some kind of void that I thought would be fulfilled when I purchased it, kind of a 'more glam' vibe, I can't particularly describe it but I thought owning an expensive thing would make myself feel better.

Skip to a few months down the line, I eyed up a Mulberry Lily, a brand that was in my wishlist for a long time, and my lovely family actually trekked all the way to Bicester Village just to help me buy it. After hearing that they bought it and I finally fulfilled one of my 'goals' of purchasing a Mulberry, I didn't feel any different. I thought that buying something luxurious and expensive would make myself feel better, but it really didn't. I've never been a materialistic person in some senses, I know that money doesn't buy happiness but yet I was always addicted with the notion of having expensive things.

I realised though, after that moment, that owning things won't make you a better person, it might make you happier in the moment and actually when you save up it does feel great. Yet, this is a fleeting feeling, it'll disappear and won't keep you going. Other things will, hard work, accepting yourself, but owning something else doesn't fulfill that. I've kind of turned things around a bit, and started thinking of the bigger picture, I've actually set myself a goal of not buying anything unnecessary for the next few months. I'll let you know how that goes, minimalism is a new approach that I want to adapt. Also, I'm not saying don't treat yourself to a new bag, go for it as you fully deserve it, just remember that sometimes things aren't everything to life. 

No comments :

Post a Comment